At Nittolo & Son, not only are we passionate aboutquality electrical services, but family as well. The holiday season is one of our favorite times of the year with gatherings, delicious food and the glow of holiday lights throughout North, Central and Coastal New Jersey! It’s magical!
Now before you start shopping for all those scrumptiousThanksgiving fixings, keep in mind that this time of year is also peak for home fires. Unattended cooking, improper use of cooking equipment and hazardous electrical practices are all noted as contributing factors. To help keep your gatherings safe and festive all season, the Nittolo & Son team is here with tenelectrical safety tips to ensure everyone has an enjoyable time.
10 Electrical SafetyTips for Thanksgiving Gatherings
- Test and make sure your smoke alarms are workingproperly
- Stay in your kitchen when something is cooking,whether on the stovetop or in the oven
- Keep children away from the stove, at least 3 feet away, when cooking hot foods and liquids
- Keep matches, lighters and lit candles out ofreach of children
- Keep knives out of reach of children
- Always use extension cords properly
- Don’t overload outlets
- Don’t leave laptops or phones charging on beds, sofas or other soft surfaces
- Never pull on a cord to unplug an appliance from an outlet
- Always use light bulbs at the correct wattage
Another area to keep in mind during the holidays is powerconsumption. Our homes tend to work overtime during the holidays. From the arrival of winter’s chill and turning on the furnace to increased time using kitchen appliances, plus the addition of strings upon strings of holiday lights and a yard full of holiday inflatables, electricity costs can skyrocket this time of year. Check out our three best tips to minimize a holiday electricitycost jump.
Holiday PowerConsumption Tips
- Weather-proof windows, seal cracks and make sureyour HVAC system is well-maintained and running as efficiently as possible.
- Appliances in your home, particularly in your kitchen, can have a big impact on your energy bills. Consider switching to Energy Star-rated appliances, and leave that oven door alone while cooking things like your holiday turkey. Peaking can lower the oven temperature by as much as 25 degrees, which will waste both cooking timeand energy.
- Switch to energy-efficient light bulbs throughout your home, and opt for LED holiday lights for decorating.
Cheers to making electrical safety and energy conservation atradition each and every holiday season!
And if you run into any electrical issues, know that theNittolo & Son team is just a call away at (973) 377-2266 .